did you find another solution...

... or do you just want to share your experience with others? Over time I have got a lot of reactions about the project. Some of them were accompanied by photographs of alternative solutions, or complete diffenrent approaches. This section of the website is where I want to share them with you. Send your comments and/or photographs to me. I will put them up in this section Who knows who will benefit from your knowledge.

Telecine projects and solutions by others.

 

A complete system.

Dirk Pronk was inspired by my website to create his own system. There are a few major differences: the drive system and the used camera. Here are some photographs of his achievements and his story.

 

The Eumig S807 D is a very convenient projector to be converted to a Telecine machine. It has dual  gauge so it can be used for both standard 8 and single 8 movies and in addition, it has sound..

  

Inside the projector, before stripping it.

  

The converted Eumig S807D projector provided with Bühler motor, toothed belt gear and power supply.

  

Instead of a traditional gear box I decided to experiment with a toothed belt transmission. It is more easy to implement, it works fine and it is less noisy.

  

Optical sensor and sync pulse generator according to Jan’s design. For the timing the wheel with the gap can be adjusted in sync with the still standing movie frame. Actually it is quite easy to find the exact point.

  

Main circuit board with motor speed controller,  light source controller and frame speed indicator very similar  to Jan´s design. I added a sound chip for future experiments. The circuit board has exactly the same dimensions as the original sound board of the Eumig projector. So I can slide it in place very easily.

  

IMG_ (2).JPG

Over the last year I tried several projectors, light sources, photo camera lenses and various webcams. However I found out that a standard photo camera lens is not so useful due to the long focal distance.

  

I was so lucky to get a real professional lens: Computar MLH-10X with C-mount. To connect the camera to the lens I used a C-mount adapter ring that fitted perfectly to the dismantled print of the Logitech Pro 9000 webcam.

  

IMG_ (9).JPG

First experiments with the Computar lens and Logitech Pro 9000 webcam combination. The webcam has a resolution of  1600x1200 pixels. The max frame rate is 30 fps, however sadly enough this speed  is not at full resolution. At 1600x1200 the frame speed is about 6-8 fps, more or less the same as the combination of mouse and capture software.

  

IMG_ (20).JPG

Mechanical design of the LED light source. I found out that it is much better to reflect the light under an angle of 45 degrees and I use white carton to diffuse the light before it strikes the film. This construction gives a nice and  regular spread of the light. The LED is a 3W/6000K version that is perfectly dimmable.

  

The right side of the projector with the LED unit fitted in place just in front of  the film transport window.

  

After my experiments with several webcams I decided to go a step further and I bought a real machine vision camera. The Basler A312fc is a fire wire color camera with a resolution of 780x580. This resolution is quite sufficient for final recording on a standard DVD. The camera has an external trigger input for the shutter and it can run at 53 fps at max resolution. By using the external trigger it is no longer necessary  to use an USB mouse for shutter speed synchronization which formed a speed limitation while capturing.

  

Recently I acquired my new Gigabit Ethernet camera, Basler A1300/32gc. My final goal is to copy all my film material to Blue ray disks. The camera has a resolution of 1294x964 and it can run at 32 fps at that HD resolution. Same as the previous camera it has an external trigger facility. I don´t need a mouse for synchronization. Because the triggered camera shutter is much faster than the mouse software I can now copy film at the maximum resolution and at normal speeds of 16 fps for standard 8 and 18 fps for single 8. This setup also allows me to copy the original sound clip at the standard speed if desired.

  

This is my current setup. I use a micro lathe slide table  to mount and stabilize the camera. It is also useful to fine tune the front focal distance. The results are quite satisfactory. In the background you see a picture from a  27 year old single 8 movie ready for final post processing.